Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sweet & Sour (& Spicy) Tempeh Sandwiches

This experiment turned out pretty tasty, so I figured I’d share it. I’ve been into sandwiches this summer, so I wanted to get a little more creative than just BLTs (with tempeh) or egg salad (with tofu), not that those aren’t delicious. This isn’t the most colorful meal, but I’m sure you could find a way to make it pretty if you tried (or cared). Brown is fine with me, as long as it tastes good.


Do these things first:

  • Make the marinade - This is about as experimental as it gets and you can use pretty much anything you see fit (half of the ideas for these ingredients originated from what I had in my cabinet), but this seemed to work: Mostly soy sauce (about a quarter cup), a spoonful each of sugar and tamarind, a splash of vinegar, a squeeze of sriracha, some red pepper and paprika, and a few cloves of chopped garlic. Mix all of that together.
  • Thinly slice a slab of tempeh - Any shape or thickness of your choosing really.
  • Pour the marinade over the tempeh, stick a lid on it, and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
  • Chop up an onion

And then:
  • Sautee the onion in a little olive oil in a deep-ish frying pan/wok.
  • Add the tempeh mixture, fluid and all.
  • Cook on medium, cover and mix around once in awhile.
  • When it looks done, it is. I think it took around 15 minutes.
  • Toast some bread, spread on some spicy mustard and veganaise, and pile on the tempeh and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment