Monday, January 23, 2012

TVP Tacos

While I made my escape from Southern California harboring a deep resentment for the region, I still missed a few things about it fairly consistently over the past few years. Namely, in no particular order, burritos, my family, nachos, and tacos.

And for the record, I’ve since made peace with my homeland. I have no desire to move back, but I have frequent urges to visit. Maybe I’m just getting soft in my old age. It’s getting so hard to hate things. Anyway, on to the tacos. Obviously, my tastes have changed from the fast-food persuasion to the organic vegan variety, but tacos are still tacos. Elements have changed, but the fundamentals are the same.


You’ll need these things:
TVP (a cup)
White rice (a cup)
Tomatoes
An onion
A few cloves of garlic
Lettuce and tomatoes for topping
Salt
Pepper
Chili powder
Garlic powder
Corn tortillas

To make the rice, for a side: Chop up the onion, garlic cloves, and like four tomatoes. Brown a cup of rice in a drizzling of oil. Add two cups of water, the onion, garlic and tomatoes, and salt, pepper and chili powder. Let simmer for 15 or 20 minutes.

To make the taco meat: Rehydrate a cup of TVP (pour two cups of boiling water over it and let it sit a few minutes). Heat a little oil in a frying ban and add the TVP, salt, pepper, and chili powder, and maybe a little oregano. Stir it around until it browns a bit and loses excess wateriness. Put it on a corn tortilla and top it with whatever you want.

That’s it, so from start to finish it takes about half an hour. This will feed four people.

No comments:

Post a Comment