Sunday, November 13, 2011

This makes everything OK

I’m not a girl with many vices left. I don’t really perform too many acts or entertain thoughts that cause me much guilt. I feel my mental, moral, and physical health is more intact than at any point in my past. That being said, I must confess that I do have one addiction left that I’ve long been unable to deny: Cookies. I fiend for them. My palms sweat and my eyes glaze over thinking about them. They infiltrate my dreams and cloud my reasoning.

But there’s good news: My depravity does know some bounds. I made a compromise with cookies that came out entirely in my favor. I invented a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I’d define as pretty damn healthy and really damn delicious. So, I don’t have to resign to a life of debauchery and decadence, but I still get to eat cookies every day. I mean, not that I’m saying I eat them every day, but... OK, I eat them every day.

Throw all this crap in a large bowl:
⅔ cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
½ cup stevia (or spenda, or sugar)
Spoonful of baking soda
Spoonful of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Splash of vanilla soy milk
Dump of apple sauce
2 spoonfuls of flaxseed meal mixed with 3 spoonfuls water
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (verify that the ingredients aren’t nasty or dairy)

Mix everything together and scoop out blobs of cookie shapes on an oiled sheet pan (around 8 or 10).
Bake at 350 until they look like cookies, maybe 10-15 minutes.

They’re a little lighter and fluffier than normal cookies, but that’s to be expected since we swapped saturated fat and refined carbohydrates with dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. And seriously, they’re good.

2 comments:

  1. These sound so awesome! I still have to try stevia in my baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat these things seven days a week.

    ReplyDelete