Monday, October 25, 2010

Loafu, the mighty tofu loaf

I’ve given birth to a beautiful beast of a protein dish and I’ve named him Loafu, the tofu loaf. He’s a creature of substance and commands respect. But, I must warn you, he requires patience. And, although I tend toward obsessive and extreme behavior and have been known to enjoy being wrist-deep in slimy matter, my stomach has a serious qualm with waiting an hour to feed, so I’m not sure how often I’ll be making this on days of the year that aren’t widely observed holidays. But if you’re a reasonable human being equipped with self-control and a normal appetite, this makes for an amazing dinner on any given night.

Get these things:
Extra firm tofu
Garlic cloves
An onion
A few carrots
Oats, a dump of them
Ketchup, a few good long squeezes
Spices and herbs, soy sauce, and whatever. I used oregano, salt, pepper, and a couple of packets of soy sauce.

Do these things:
Chop and crush the onion and garlic, respectively, and saute them in a little oil.
Mash the tofu and grate the carrots.
Miss all ingredients together and smash into a casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for an hour-ish.

It’s good with sweet potato fries. Cut a sweet potato into fry shapes. Stir them up in a bowl with a drizzle of oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, put them on a sheet pan, and stick them in the oven with Loafu. When they look like you want to eat them, take them out. They don’t take quite as long as Loafu.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! This looks amazing!! Any leftovers I can try? :D

    ReplyDelete